Hidden away in the heart of “the Concrete Jungle” is a real jungle of sorts – The Bronx Zoo. This acclaimed but often overlooked attraction is the world’s largest urban zoo, providing a place for city-dwellers and visitors to escape to tree-dotted grounds and fascinating exhibits.
Located in the Bronx, via a taxi cab or subway ride away from The New York Palace’s Midtown Manhattan location, the zoo provides 265 acres of beautifully groomed space in the middle of the city. The Bronx Zoo boasts an array of world-class exhibits, featuring animals large and small, common and rare, exotic and American alike. The zoo’s best-known exhibits include:
- African Plains – See all the most famous natives of the Sahara and savannah, including lions, zebras, gazelles and giraffes.
- Astor Court and Sea Lion Pool – This up-close-and-personal exhibit features playful sea lions traipsing through their exhibit, located in Astor Court’s landmark Beaux-Arts buildings.
- Butterfly Garden – Monarchs, julias and other ornate winged insects flutter through the zoo’s meadow and greenhouse spaces, which are filled with beautiful flowers.
- Madagascar! – Take a journey to Africa’s most exciting island by checking out the lemurs, crocodiles, geckos and snakes that call Madagascar home.
- Children’s Zoo – This three-acre area is set aside for kids to explore various animal habitats and pet and feed friendly goats, sheep and llamas.
The zoo offers access to a variety of other stunning animals, including gorillas, baboons, grizzly bears, tigers and red pandas. You can also plan your trip around one of many interactive activities, including family-friendly camel rides, penguin and sea lion feedings, and the Animal Activity Trail.
Facts and Figures:
- World’s largest urban zoo
- 4,000 animals (650 species)
- 265 acres
- Opened in 1899
- $16.95 for adults; $11.95 for children ages 3-12; $14.95 for seniors 65 and older
- Open year-round – hours vary
How to Get to the Bronx Zoo:
The New York Palace is positioned perfectly for inter-borough travel to the Bronx Zoo. You can reach the zoo from our hotel by taxi, with help from our expert concierge.
- Reach out to our Les Clefs d’Or Concierge to reserve a taxi from the hotel to the zoo
- The taxi ride should take between 20 and 30 minutes, depending on traffic
For more information on the Bronx Zoo, please visit www.bronxzoo.com.